Effective Legal Representation for Phoenix Defective Drugs and Devices
Helping victims through the process of Arizona product liability law
Every day, patients across Arizona take medications and use medical devices prescribed by their physicians. They do this with a very reasonable expectation that the product will improve their health and not make it worse. But, in far too many cases, these drugs and devices injure patients instead of helping them. The pharmaceutical companies that produce these medications and products make millions of dollars from their usage. These sales come with a responsibility to ensure that they are safe for their intended purpose.
When injuries occur, you need the help of an experienced Phoenix defective drug attorney. At Plattner Verderame, P.C., we work hard to ensure that each and every client has the resources and support to fight against even the largest of pharmaceutical companies. If you are dealing with an honest injury, we are the firm to provide you with quality legal representation.
Examples of dangerous or defective medical devices or drugs
We have diligently fought for the rights of patients injured by various defective products, including drugs and medical devices. We have secured successful outcomes for numerous victims, including those injured by:
- Medical implants. Implants such as knee replacements, pain management devices and breast implants are meant to enhance the patient’s quality of life in some manner. However, when these devices fail to perform properly, the effects can be tragic. Defective implants can lead to further discomfort and chronic pain. The most severe cases may require the patient to endure additional surgeries. Some of these devices may even lead to the patient’s death when designed or manufactured improperly.
- Dialysis treatments. Dialysis is an extremely important medical procedure used to replace the functions of failed kidneys. A successful procedure relies on several medications and medical devices. If any one of them fails to perform their intended purpose, the results can be fatal for the patient.
- Dangerous medications. The list of prescription medications currently under investigation for causing injury to patients is disturbingly long. While we hope that the medicines we take will enhance our health and wellbeing, for many folks, the exact opposite is true. Defective medications can lead to serious health complications, and our attorneys believe that pharmaceutical companies should be held responsible for their negligence.
- Over-the-counter medications. Prescription drugs are not the only medications that can be found defective. Even the most seemingly harmless medicines can cause serious injury if defective. For example, Tylenol is one of the most commonly used over-the-counter pain medications on the market, yet the Food and Drug Administration has recalled numerous Tylenol products over the years to protect the public from various dangers.
- Birth control devices. Certain birth control devices and medications have come under a lot of scrutiny in recent years for their negative effects on women and developing fetuses. When defective, these products can rob a woman of her ability to ever have children. Some birth control devices have also been linked to blood clots and ectopic pregnancies.
Each of these circumstances can result in life-changing, long-term injuries. We understand what’s at stake, and we earnestly work to secure a level of compensation that adequately addresses the severity of your injuries and the medical treatment required for you live a quality life.
Damages for medical device injury claims
When you are hurt by a medical device, you can make a claim for three kinds of damages:
- Economic damages. Economic damages cover your monetary losses. They include things like your medical bills, your lost wages from missing time at work, and property damage. They also include any future loss of earnings and future medical expenses, as well as funeral costs.
- Non-economic damages. Non-economic damages are more subjective. They include things like your pain and suffering, your loss of companionship or enjoyment of life, and compensation for any scarring or disfigurement.
- Punitive damages. Punitive awards are meant to punish the accountable party, plain and simple. Most of the really large settlement and verdict awards you hear about come from punitive damages: Stella Liebeck’s hot coffee from McDonalds, Johnson & Johnson’s talc lawsuits, Auto Zone’s pregnancy discrimination, etc.
Holding pharmaceutical companies accountable
Medications and devices do not make it to market without numerous rounds of testing and research. Pharmaceutical companies are supposed to complete these tasks for the purpose of ensuring that their products are safe for the patients who will use them. This research sometimes uncovers unreasonable dangers and risks. When these defects are discovered, the pharmaceutical company has a responsibility to keep the drug or device off of the market indefinitely or until the impediment is corrected. Yet, shockingly, company executives often ignore these warnings, putting their profits before the safety of their consumers. They make products available that they know are dangerous, and we find this behavior deplorable.
This is why our talented Phoenix defective drug attorneys work so hard for our clients. We have substantial experience in defective product, medical device and pharmaceutical litigation.
Types of Cases We Handle
Our attorneys handle a variety of cases, including:
Call today for an honest assessment of your Arizona defective product claim
At Plattner Verderame, P.C., we fight in and out of the courtroom to protect the rights of people in Phoenix and across the state of Arizona. If you or a family member was injured by a defective drug or device, call us at 602-783-8793, or fill out our convenient contact form. We handle all cases on a contingency-fee basis.