Professional Phoenix Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers Advocate for the Elderly
Helping nursing home residents throughout Arizona who have been harmed by neglect or abuse
The elderly and infirmed are among the most vulnerable members of our society. Unfortunately, they are also among the most frequently abused and neglected. When we trust a nursing home with the wellbeing of a loved one, we expect that they will receive an excellent level of care. Unfortunately, these expectations often go unmet. Every year, thousands of nursing home residents are subjected to unnecessary injury, pain or even death.
The experienced Phoenix nursing home abuse attorneys of Plattner Verderame, P.C. aggressively fight to hold these facilities responsible for their actions. If your loved one was injured while in the care of a nursing home, or if you suspect the facility is stealing or committing fraud, contact our office today for a confidential consultation.
Common signs of abuse or neglect in Arizona nursing homes
While some nursing home injuries are immediately apparent, others may go unnoticed for an extended period of time. For example, the effects of mental abuse are likely not visible. Don’t count on your loved one to report the situation. He or she may be dealing with intimidation or threats of further harm. This is why it is so important to visit nursing home residents on a regular basis and earnestly look for common signs of abuse, including:
- Unusual bruises or cuts
- Broken bones
- Changed relationships between staff members and the resident
- Strained communications between nursing home staff and family members
- Resident discomfort with certain staff members
- Frequent infections
- Lapse in cleanliness
- Unexplained weight loss
If you observe troubling signs while visiting your loved one, take immediate steps to secure his or her safety. Local law enforcement can be of assistance, along with Arizona Adult Protective Services. For help in securing compensation for your loved one’s injuries, contact our compassionate Phoenix nursing home injury lawyers. We handle all of our personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis. You will not owe us anything unless we obtain a verdict or settlement on your behalf.
What kind of injuries can result from abuse or neglect in a nursing home?
Our attorneys have assisted numerous nursing home neglect and abuse victims. Some of the effects we see most often include:
- Bruising, lacerations and broken bones. Your loved one can sustain serious injuries in cases where caregivers physically assault residents, through actions like striking or pushing.
- Bed sores. Also called decubitus ulcers, these skin and tissue injuries develop when residents are left in the same position for prolonged periods of time.
- Emotional withdrawal or personality changes. Physical abuse, sexual abuse or neglect can leave a patient emotionally withdrawn. Verbal abuse occurs when residents are subjected to statements that cause severe emotional distress, including insults, threats, and shouting, and it can lead to distinct personality changes.
- Dehydration and malnutrition. When staff members fail to provide residents with adequate nutrition and hydration, the results can be fatal.
- Falling injuries resulting in fractures. Inadequate supervision, lack of bed rails, unsafe walkways and a lack of preventative measures can lead to bone-fracturing falls.
- Wandering away. Unattended residents may wander away from the nursing home, unknowingly placing themselves in extreme danger.
Our knowledgeable Phoenix nursing home injury attorneys understand that injuries often stem from the inadequate decisions of nursing home owners and managers. These facilities have a professional duty to maintain a staff-to-resident ratio that meets industry safety standards. They should also take measures to protect our loved ones by carefully checking the backgrounds of potential caregivers. Unfortunately, many nursing homes fail to take appropriate actions. Instead, they choose to place profits over their residents, creating an environment that promotes injury, instead of excellent care.
Phoenix nursing home neglect lawyers advocating for the most vulnerable members of our society
The attorneys of Plattner Verderame, P.C., take pride in providing top notch legal representation to honest people with honest injuries. We strive to make our services affordable and accessible to those in need. If your loved one experienced a nursing home injury, call 602-783-8793, toll free at 888-657-3573, or contact us online for a confidential discussion of your case.