High-Quality Representation for Phoenix Gun-Related Injury Lawsuits
Trusted attorneys for gun law cases
Arizonans know better than most how dangerous guns can be. Representative Gabby Giffords is a testament to their dangers. Because federal organizations (outside of the Justice Department) aren’t allowed to thoroughly examine gun violence, sources vary on how many deaths are caused by firearms each year. In 2014 (the most recent data available), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that there were 917 gun-related deaths in Arizona, and 33,390 across the U.S.
At Plattner Verderame, P.C., we understand why gun accidents happen and are committed to helping injured victims obtain justice and compensation from negligent gun owners, manufacturers and other responsible parties. If you or a family member has recently suffered a gun-related injury, our knowledgeable Phoenix gun injury attorneys can help you learn more about your rights.
Types of gun-related injury cases
There are 22 companies that manufacture and sell guns in Arizona alone. That’s a lot of firearms to keep track of, and the sheer numbers of guns increases the chances of a serious accident. Specific types of firearms accidents we handle include:
- Accidents caused by gun owner negligence. When a gun owner fails to exercise proper care, an accidental discharge can severely injure someone. An owner should take the initiative to obtain training on the proper usage of a gun. Furthermore, he or she can be held accountable for not protecting visitors and guests if the premises are unsafe.
- Intentional shootings. These incidents occur when a wrongdoer purposely shoots an individual. These cases often involve public policy concerns, in addition to personal injury issues.
- Accidents at firing ranges. Firing range accidents are not common, but they do occur enough to cause concern. The owner and/or managers of the firing range have a responsibility to ensure that proper safety measures are followed. When not done, injuries may result.
- Accidents caused by design flaws or manufacturing defects. Gun-related accidents may also result from firearm design or manufacturing defects. These problems can cause the gun to accidentally discharge, injuring the owner or a third party.
- Accidents caused by defective gun parts. Each individual part of the gun must also be designed and manufactured adequately. All of these parts work together for the proper function of the gun. Any defect in a single part of the gun can result in a fatal or injurious accident.
- Hunting accidents. Many gun-related accidents occur while individuals are hunting. A shooter may mistake the victim for an animal. Reckless behavior may also be at fault, like a shooter joking around with the gun or drinking alcohol while hunting.
- Accidents involving drug or alcohol use. Alcohol and drug use not only take place during hunting excursions. It can happen in any situation where a firearm is present. These circumstances are often present when domestic violence incidents occur.
Our team of highly skilled Phoenix gun injury attorneys includes Richard Plattner, Frank Verderame and Randy Hinsch. Each of these talented lawyers has been certified by the Arizona State Bar as Specialists in Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Litigation. Our fourth attorney, Nick Verderame, is working toward his certification while helping injured folks and survivors navigate the waters of the justice system.
What you need to know about Arizona gun laws
Arizona’s gun laws allow anyone with the legal right to possess a gun to carry a concealed weapon in most places. This action does not require a background check, a specialized permit or any specific firearms training. A new bill (SB 1122) is currently with Governor Ducey, and would prevent municipalities from requiring background checks in the “private sale, gift, donation or other transfer of personal property.”
Unfortunately, as the modern history of gun ownership and gun use in America suggests — any formula that puts more people with less training and fewer restrictions on the street with loaded weapons will almost certainly lead to an increase in the number of accidental injuries and deaths caused by guns.
Our experienced Phoenix gun injury attorneys support the Second Amendment. Attorneys in our firm have had weapons training and hold concealed carry permits. However, we also support responsible gun ownership and advocate for victims injured by negligent gun owners. If you have a gun, please get appropriate training about your weapon and the laws relating to its use. Lives depend on it.
Types of Cases We Handle
Our attorneys handle a variety of cases, including:
- Premises Liability
- Slip and Fall
- Negligent Security
- Dog Bites
- Swimming Pool
- Resort and Tourist Injuries
- Hot Air Balloon Injuries
- Skydiving Injuries
- Golf Course Accidents
- Golf Course Worker Injuries
- Civilian Contractor Injuries
Serving Phoenix and residents across the state of Arizona in gun injury cases
We work with clients throughout the state of Arizona to secure justice for honest people. We care about our clients and we believe winning righteous cases makes the world a better, safer place for everyone. Call us at 602-783-8793, or complete our contact form today to schedule an appointment with a knowledgeable Phoenix gun-related accident lawyer at Plattner Verderame, P.C. We handle these cases on a contingency-fee basis, which means that you won’t owe us anything unless we obtain a verdict or settlement on your behalf.