Dependable Phoenix Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Protecting the rights of the most vulnerable drivers on Arizona roadways
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the number of motorcycle deaths, per mile, was 27 times that of car deaths nationally. No matter the type of motorcycle you’re riding—Kawasaki, Suzuki, Harley-Davidson, Yamaha, or another brand—motorcycles are less stable than four-wheeled vehicles. Riders who are in a motorcycle crash usually fall directly to the hard ground with no hood, front, or rear of the vehicle to protect them.
The Phoenix motorcycle accident lawyers at Plattner Verderame, P.C. have been fighting for honest people with honest injuries since 1991. One of our team of Arizona Board Certified Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Specialists is a lawyer who rides, so we understand what it is like to face judgment from non-motorcyclists. Our lawyers demand payment for the long-term physical pain and emotional suffering of survivors, all necessary medical bills, and any lost wages. When a tragic fatality occurs, we care for the family of the victim by guiding them gently through the wrongful death claim process while remaining sensitive to their grief and mourning process.
Liability for motorcycle accidents
Motorcycle accidents can cause death, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord damage, paralysis, broken bones, lower leg injuries, and other serious health problems, many of which can cause a lifetime of pain.
Our lawyers seek to hold everyone involved in causing the accident responsible for every injury suffered, including death. We bring claims against the following parties if they are responsible for the motorcycle crash:
- The driver of the car, truck, or another motorcycle
- The owners of the vehicle that caused the crash
- The driver if a passenger was injured
- Manufacturers, distributors, and retailers
- Taverns and restaurants that sold liquor to an intoxicated driver
- Government agencies that failed to properly design or maintain the road
Our Phoenix motorcycle crash lawyers handle cases in both state and federal court. We prepare each case for a jury trial and only settle the case with the consent of the client when the settlement offer is comparable to the likely jury verdict. Our partners have been given the top (AV) rating by Martindale-Hubble, a peer-review rating agency.
Causes of motorcycle accidents
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that 80% of motorcycle accidents involve some type of injury or death. The likelihood that you will experience a personal injury in a motorcycle accident is astronomical. No matter what has happened to you and your accident, our professional Phoenix motorcycle accident attorneys are poised and ready to help.
Motorcycle accidents happen for many reasons. Our Phoenix motorcycle accident attorneys handle all types of motorcycle crashes, including:
- Crashes caused by auto and truck drivers. Many car and truck drivers fail to watch for motorcycle riders and don’t treat the motorcycle operator like other four-wheel drivers. This can make it extremely difficult for the motorcycle rider to turn, pass, and navigate through traffic. Drunk or drugged driving, as well as distracted driving, are also primary culprits when it comes to collisions with other riders or drivers.
- Collisions caused by a product defect. If the brakes fail, the throttle doesn’t engage, or the motorcycle isn’t balanced properly, fatal and serious accidents can occur. The makers and sellers of motorcycles and motorcycle parts must design and manufacturer their products free from defects. If a defect causes harm, these businesses should be held accountable.
- Careless motorcycle operators. Injured passengers of motorcycle drivers have the right to sue the operator if he/she was speeding, ran through a red light, failed to turn properly, or was otherwise negligent.
We investigate the cause of the accident by examining the accident site, speaking with all relevant witnesses, reviewing the police report, analyzing the damage to all vehicles involved, and conducting extensive discovery. In some cases, we work with traffic reconstruction experts to determine the exact cause.
Common injuries for motorcycle riders in Phoenix
The three most common types of motorcycle injuries are:
- Bone fractures. The most common type of motorcycle injury is a bone fracture. Most of the time, this means a broken leg or arm, but can also indicate a broken collarbone, pelvis or other smaller bones. Breaking your leg is the most common type of fracture in a motorcycle accident. Arm and wrist fractures are also very common, as many riders naturally attempt to break their falls or shield themselves from further injury. Wearing gloves and body armor can help protect you.
- Road rash. When there is no casing between you and the road, like there is in a car, road rash is common in the instance of an accident. Road rash is an injury that affects your skin, and happens when you receive abrasions from pavement or other ground. The pain can be severe. Often, road rash takes quite a long time to heal and can leave unsightly scars. Similar to burns, road rash has three degrees. First-degree road rash is the least severe. In second-degree road rash, the skin is broken but the lower layers of skin are unharmed. Third-degree road rash is the most severe, with several layers of skin, tissue and fat being harmed. Wearing protective clothing in case of a motorcycle accident is crucial to your safety and the preservation of your skin.
- Head injuries. The most insidious type of injury that can occur in a motorcycle accident is a head injury. Traumatic brain injury, paralysis and brain damage can result in challenging medical issues that might last the rest of your life. Traumatic brain injury is the leading cause of death and disability in motorcycle accidents that occur in the United States. The U.S. Department of Transportation reports that wearing a helmet can decrease your likelihood of death in an accident by 29%-35%. Wearing a helmet can also significantly reduce the occurrence of a head injury.
No matter what kind of injury you have sustained, we can represent you. Our goal is to get you the best possible outcome for your case.
Helmet laws for riders in Arizona
Because motorcycle accidents are statistically more likely to involve injury or death than car accidents, it is important to take all possible precautions when riding. Wearing gloves, body armor and a helmet can drastically reduce your risk of injury should a tragic accident occur. Most states mandate that riders wear motorcycle helmets or protective headgear when operating their bikes. Arizona is not one of the states. This can make for unique circumstances and complex personal injury cases.
The only helmet law in Arizona applies solely to minors. It requires that a motorcycle operator under 18 years of age wear protective headgear at all times. (§ 28-964) If your child is a minor and has been in a motorcycle accident, it is vital that you seek competent representation on their behalf.
Understand that even with a helmet, you may still sustain serious injuries – especially if you are hit by another vehicle. A defect in the helmet can also cause it to be less effective than it should.
Why wear a helmet at all?
Wearing a helmet is the easiest and safest way to prevent or reduce the severity of a brain injury in case of a motorcycle accident. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that brain injuries due to a motorcycle accident are three times more common if riders are not wearing a helmet. You are much more likely to suffer a traumatic brain injury or hemorrhage. These injuries can affect you and your loved ones for life, and might leave you paralyzed, brain damaged and unable to take care of yourself. Because Arizona does not require adults to wear helmets, it can be more complicated to secure compensation for riders with these serious injuries.
If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury, or if your loved one died in a motorcycle accident, it is important that you seek excellent medical care, as well as legal representation if you choose to bring a personal injury claim. We are a team of knowledgeable professionals that has significant experience in motorcycle accident personal injury law. We strive to provide you with high-quality legal representation and will always conduct a comprehensive investigation and thoroughly look at the factors that caused your injury. We excel in identifying all responsible parties, and our honest and approachable Phoenix motorcycle accident lawyers will proceed with your litigation with professionalism and rigor. We want you to know that you’ll be well represented should your case be settled or heard in court.
Types of Cases We Handle
Our attorneys handle a variety of accident cases, including:
Talk to an honest Phoenix motorcycle injury attorney today
Our lawyers understand the laws that apply to motorcycle riders, including helmet usage, traffic laws, product liability, and more. This extensive knowledge, in combination with our thorough approach to preparing each case, enables us to persuasively argue your case and obtain the maximum result possible on your behalf.
For help now, please contact a Phoenix motorcycle accident lawyer at Plattner Verderame, P.C. by calling 602-783-8793 or toll free at 888-657-3573. You can also fill out our contact form to make a free appointment. We take cases on a contingency fee basis and see clients away from the office when necessary.
“Warm, caring people that go the extra mile. They’ll tell you exactly what the situation is and what to expect. I can’t thank them enough for all of their help!”
– Andrea Sarich, 5.0 rating ★★★★★
316 E Flower St.
Phoenix, AZ 85012
|Meet the Attorneys||Common Questions||Personal Injury|
|Auto Accidents||Sexual Harassment|